Table of Contents
- Slippery Nipple
- Buttery Nipple Pudding Shots
- Buttery Finger
- Alien Nipple
- Brain Hemorrhage
- Alien Brain Hemorrhage
- Fallen Froggie Shot
- Butterball Shot
- After Eight Shot
- Hiroshima Bomber Shot
Cocktails and shots may initially be thought of as strong liqueurs that make your face all wrinkly once you’ve taken a gulp, but there is also an array of sweet shots that also deserve recognition. The buttery nipple shot or the “Cowboy” is one of them. If you’re familiar with it, you may already know that it’s a famous party shot due to its rich sweet taste. It reminds you of delicious and creamy butterscotch candy. A buttery nipple shot is a smooth-layered shot made of butterscotch liqueur and cream liqueur. While it is traditionally layered, some also like it shaken, either way, it’s guaranteed to give you a great experience.
You may be wondering where the name came from and while there is a story behind it, it has never been confirmed and is often mixed up with a similar shot, the Slippery Nipple. Nevertheless, the buttery nipple rose to popularity in the 1980s, the time when mixed drinks also became famous and the time when inappropriate cocktail names sprouted. There are several drinks with names that are considered taboo but the reason for such is to gain popularity especially for the young drinkers.
Like all layered shots, the science behind their majestic layers involves the density of the liquids. For buttery nipple shots, the Irish cream is less dense so it floats on the more dense butterscotch schnapps. If you do it the other way around, it would not work and the layer would not form. There are several variations of drinks whether there are added ingredients or the mode of making it. Be sure to keep reading to know what they are.
Buttery Nipple Ingredients:
- 1 oz. DeKuyper Butterscotch Schnapps
- ½ oz. Baileys Irish Cream
Buttery Nipple Preparation:
- Measure ingredients with a jigger.
- In a chilled shot glass, pour in the butterscotch schnapps.
- Using a bar spoon, slowly pour the Irish cream over the back of the bar spoon to the shot glass. This will create the layer. Bottoms up!
Aside from the buttery nipple, you can also try these similar shots that can also make the party wild.
1. Slippery Nipple
It may look exactly like a buttery nipple, but it differs from it with one ingredient. Just replace the butterscotch schnapps with sambuca and you’ll get a whole new shot.
- 1 part Molinari Sambuca
- 1 part Bailey’s Irish Cream
- Measure ingredients with a jigger and pour first the sambuca into a chilled shot glass.
- Pour the Irish cream over the back of a spoon into the shot glass to create the layer.
2. Buttery Pudding Shots
Let’s assume that you’ve already had a buttery nipple shot, but have you ever had a lighter, sweeter version of it? If not, try this recipe and tell us which you prefer.
- 1.5 oz. Bailey's Irish Cream
- 1.5 oz. DeKuyper Butterscotch schnapps
- 3 oz. Organic Valley Milk
- ½ Packet Jell-O Butterscotch Pudding Mix
- ½ Whipped Cream
- chocolate shavings
- In a bowl, combine the pudding mix, milk, Irish cream, and butterscotch schnapps. Mix well.
- Fold in whipped cream, and mix well. Place the mixture in small cups and let it set in the fridge.
- Once set, top them with whipped cream.
3. Buttery Finger
If you haven’t had enough of the buttery nipple or the slippery nipple, you can try this elevated version which is a cocktail but can also be a shooter.
- ½ oz. Bailey’s Irish Cream
- ½ oz. Absolut Vodka
- ½ oz. DeKuyper Butterscotch Schnapps
- ½ oz. Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 1 Luxardo maraschino cherry (for garnish)
- Ice cubes
- Fill a glass with ice cubes. Measure ingredients with a jigger and pour all of them into the glass.
- Stir with a bar spoon and then garnish with a cherry on top.
4. Alien Nipple
A wonderful twist on the classic, the alien nipple incorporates the great flavor of melon liqueur on the ever-awesome buttery nipple. Try one now!
- 1 part DeKuyper Butterscotch Schnapps
- 1 part Midori Melon liqueur
- 1 part Bailey's Irish Cream
- In a shot glass, pour in the butterscotch schnapps.
- For the second layer, use the back of a spoon to pour over the melon liqueur.
- For the last layer, slowly pour the Irish cream, again over the back of the spoon into the shot glass.
5. Brain Hemorrhage
Don’t be scared with the name, you’re not gonna get a brain hemorrhage after you take this drink, instead, you’re gonna have a great time. It is a combination of peach and cream with little droplets of “blood” that will taste great.
- Fill your shot glass with peach schnapps three-quarters of the way.
- Combine the Irish cream and add a dash of grenadine. You’ll mostly need a marbling or cloudy effect here rather than a layered effect.
6. Alien Brain Hemorrhage
If you’ve already had the brain hemorrhage, try this upgraded version which adds something blue to the mix, the alien brain hemorrhage.
- ¾ oz. Peach Schnapps
- ¼ oz. Bailey's Irish cream
- Dash of Rose’s Grenadine syrup
- Dash of Senior & Co. Blue Curacao
- Fill a shot glass with peach schnapps three-quarters of the way.
- Add in the Irish cream on top. Then, add drops of grenadine and blue curacao.
7. Fallen Froggie Shot
Have a shot with this fun and tasty drink that incorporates the delicious taste of melon and cream. Enjoy!
- In a shot glass, pour in the melon liqueur.
- Pour the Irish cream over the back of the spoon into the glass, just to top it off.
- Add a few drops of grenadine into the glass.
8. Butterball Shot
Another classic sweet shot that is delightful to have every time with the great combination of almond, butterscotch, and cream.
- ½ oz. DeKuyper butterscotch schnapps
- ½ oz. Disaronno Amaretto
- ¼ oz. Baileys Irish Cream
- Measure ingredients with a jigger. In a chilled shot glass, pour in the butterscotch schnapps and amaretto.
- Slowly pour the Irish cream over the back of a spoon into the glass.
9. After Eight Shot
Have you ever had a minty and strong coffee before? If not yet, try this recipe, surely it’ll make you alive.
- ⅓ oz. Kahlua coffee liqueur
- ⅓ oz. Baileys Irish cream
- ⅓ oz. Arrow Peppermint Schnapps
- Fill a shot glass with Kahlua. Then, slowly pour the peppermint schnapps over the back of the spoon to create the second layer.
- Do the same thing with the Irish cream, just to top it off.
10. Hiroshima Bomber Shot
Quite intimidating for a name, but it’s a fun shooter that guarantees a great experience every time, try this awesome Hiroshima bomber shot!
- Pour in the triple sec into a shot glass.
- Use the back of a spoon to pour over the Irish cream. Then drop in a couple of drops of grenadine to resemble an exploding bomb.
Since the buttery nipple shot is sweet, it needs something savory, salty, or spicy to balance it out. You can try some of the best-drunk foods which are mostly food you can order in a fast-food restaurant such as pizza, burgers, tacos and more. Don’t want to keep drinking or remain drunk on an empty stomach, right?
What’s the difference between a slippery nipple and a buttery nipple?
They are both made with two ingredients, Baileys Irish cream but they differ in the other ingredients. The slippery nipple is made with Sambuca whereas the Buttery nipple is made with butterscotch schnapps which makes it sweeter.
What is a butterscotch liqueur?
A clear liqueur that has the rich and sweet taste of melted butterscotch which is a blend of butter and brown sugar. Most butterscotch liqueurs have 15-21% alcohol content by volume.
What is the difference between schnapps and liqueur?
Schnapps are fermented and distilled, they are made through a mixture of a neutral grain spirit with fruit flavors or with other flavors and then added with sugar to achieve a syrup-like consistency. On the other hand, liqueurs are made from fruit, cream, herbs, spices, flowers or nuts that are steeped in fermented and distilled alcohol and then added with sugar as well.
What is a nipple shot?
It is a layered shot composed of usually 2 main liqueurs and often added with a couple of drops of grenadine syrup. They are mostly referred to as alcoholic dessert drinks.
How much alcohol content is in Bailey’s Irish cream?
It is declared that Bailey’s Irish cream contains 17% by volume. It is flavored with cream, cocoa, and Irish whiskey.
Irish Car Bomb and Whiskey Sour Jello Shots
If you want to know more about the shot and all the other good stuff, check out this awesome Irish Car Bomb recipe along with other amazing Guinness drinks. These are tough drinks though so be sure that you’re also tough enough to face these bad boys. On the other hand, if you want to have a good drink that you can chew, you can try these delicious whiskey sour jello shots. Of course, they take time to prepare, but they are worth it and just as good as the drink.
Alcoholic beverages aren’t just limited to very acid and strong flavors. For those who have a low tolerance for alcohol but still want to have a good time, fret not, because there is a long list of sweet but with less alcohol content drinks for you. One of them is the buttery nipple. This drink is so easy to make, with only two ingredients. You can easily order it at a bar or make one for yourself at home. And because creativity is unlimited, other drinks are either preceding or inspired by the buttery nipple shot, be sure to review them should you be interested to buy or make one. As much as you want to enjoy these drinks, be sure to look out for your body as well. Always drink responsibly so you can continue to try more incredible drinks.