Inspired by a certified platinum song of the same name, Caribou Lou is a great-tasting drink meant for people to indulge and have an incredible time at parties.
This cocktail recipe is laid out in the song’s lyrics, but the quantity mentioned is for a batch. American rapper and creator of Caribou Lou, Tech N9ne, stated in an interview that this drink should have little portions of rum for it not to be too strong if served individually.
Curious about what this drink tastes like? Have a glass using this Caribou Lou recipe.
Steps to Make
- Put ice cubes in a highball glass.
- Pour rum and Malibu. Top it off with pineapple juice.
- Stir with a bar spoon and serve.
The Rise to Fame
Caribou Lou hit both the music charts and the bar menu when the song was released in 2006. But its fame gradually decreased over the years.
Nevertheless, fans and patrons alike have kept this drink hot on the bartender’s list ‘till today, specifically those from the US-North Dakota, South Dakota, Montana, Nebraska, Kansas-, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, and the UK.
Caribou Lou Recipe Variations
Caribou Lou isn’t the only rum-pineapple juice cocktail that’s an excellent choice for parties. Here are more drinks with similar ingredients that you can try.
Grab some coconut rum, pineapple juice, orange juice, and cherries for a zesty and refreshing drink that will make you reminisce on a hot summer day at the beach!
Steps to Make
- Mix all ingredients except cherries in a drink shaker with ice.
- Pour in a cocktail glass.
- Add cherries.
A more popular cocktail, Pina Colada makes use of coconut cream instead of liqueur. It also incorporates dark and white rum for that extra spice and kick that goes well with the sweet and sour pineapple fruit.
- 2 oz. White Rum
- 3 oz. Cream of Coconut
- 4 oz. Pineapple juice
- Frozen pineapples (optional)
- 2 cups Ice Cubes
- Pineapple wedge and Maraschino cherry (for garnish)
Steps to Make
- In a blender, pour in all the ingredients.
- Add ice cubes. You can also swap out a couple of ice cubes with frozen pineapple chunks to enhance the flavor. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a Poco Grande glass.
- Garnish with a pineapple wedge and cherry. You can also put a tiny umbrella to add fancy effects.
Give your whiskey sour a sweeter twist by adding pineapple juice! If you think that whiskey sour is only limited to being “super sour,” the pineapple juice’s added sweetness will balance all the drink flavors.
Steps to Make
- In a shaker, put whiskey, pineapple juice, lemon juice, and bitters together with ice, then shake.
- Use a strainer and transfer the mixture into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with lemon wedges if desired.
Know the Caribou Lou Drink Ingredients
- 151 Rum - Produced by the spirits company Bacardi, 151 was known for its higher proof level than most rum labels but discontinued in 2016.
- Malibu - Malibu is the coconut flavored alcohol in the recipe. It has a smooth and refreshing flavor, which is excellent for fruit cocktails.
- Pineapple juice - Juice obtained from the tropical fruit pineapple.
Caribou Lou Bar Accessories
Cocktails taste the best when they are prepared and served using the right equipment. Have these bar accessories handy when preparing Caribou Lou!
- Highball glass - The kind of glass suitable for cocktails of larger quantities.
- Jigger - A necessity if you’d rather have alcohol parts of proper measurement.
- Bar spoon - A specific type of spoon used for mixing cocktails.
Caribou Lou Cocktail Food Pairings
With this cocktail having a tropical flavor, it only fits that it is paired with bites popular in the tropics. Try the tastiest and juiciest whole fried chicken, spicy dishes, seafood, and sweet bits that go well with Caribou Lou.
Nothing beats a cool and refreshing Caribou Lou, whether it is summer or even winter. It is an all-around cocktail that perfectly matches the quirky or serious side of you. So, if you feel quite blue and want to feel good, this beverage will liven up your mood.