The Last Word Cocktail is quite a peculiar alcoholic beverage. The combination of gin, Maraschino Liqueur, Green Chartreuse and lime juice result to the drink's sharp and complex flavors. Such distinct sweet and sour relish proved to be satisfactory through time and time again and have hailed the recently rekindled The Last Word as one of the classic cocktails.
The Last Word Cocktail Ingredients:1 oz Fresh lime juice 1 oz Green Chartreuse 1 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur 1 oz Gin Dark cherry
The Last Word Cocktail Preparation:
- Pour the ingredients of equal parts into a shaker tin.
- Add ice and shake well.
- Strain the mix into a coupe glass.
- Top it off with a dark cherry and serve.
Did You Know?"The Last Word" is also the name of bars located in different countries, specifically in New Zealand, Malaysia, and several states in the US.
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsOn the taste-testing event that Punch held for The Last Word recipes last October 2018, the winning submissions prove to be an interesting bunch:
- Paddy O’Brien’s Last Word- Paddy O'Brien's take on the Last Word makes use of a specific type of gin, the Warwick Rustic Gin.
- Tom Macy's Last Word- Tom Macy's creative version of this cocktail uses both lemon and lime juice, plus the Tanqueray No. 10 gin.
- Erik Adkins’ Last Word- Similar to Macy's recipe but without the lemon juice.
Know Your Ingredients!Out of all the cocktails from the Prohibition Era, what makes The Last Word exceptionally good?
- Lime Juice - Lime extract is an ingredient found in many cocktail recipes. As such, ready-made lime juice products are made available in the market.
- Green Chartreuse - Liqueur that originated in France, the Green Chartreuse was first produced by Carthusian monks after they received the recipe from a friend of the Order. Another version of this beverage is the Yellow Chartreuse.
- Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur - The "secret weapon" in this recipe is made of distilled Marasca cherries.
- Gin- This widely-used spirit is a product of distillation, specifically of grains and juniper berries.
- Dark cherry- These sweet, mahogany red-colored berries are the perfect garnish for The Last Word.
Bar AccessoriesMake sure these accessories are on your shelf if you're planning to prepare a glass or two of The Last Word:
- Citrus Juicer -A convenient tool to aid you in case you prefer squeezing the juice out of lime with your own hands.
- Shaker Tin - No pub or home bar can be complete without a shaker, as it is a necessity for cocktail mixes especially those served on the rocks.
- Strainer - Another bar essential, the cocktail strainer separates the ice cubes from your drink.
- Coupe Glass - Just like the Paper Plane, The Last Word is one of the many cocktails that is specifically served in this type of glass.
The HistoryThe Last Word cocktail was first served in the Detroit Athletic Club bar during the Prohibition Era in 1920. It was featured in Ted Saucier's 1951 bartender guide entitled "Bottoms Up!" and stayed in the menu for the said bar and in several other pubs around the US for several years until eventually it lost its supporters and was taken off of the list. The credit for this drink being recognized again recently all goes to Seattle bartender Murray Stenson, who added it to the Zig Zag Café's menu last 2005. He found the recipe in a copy of Saucier's book that he found while he was rummaging through the bar's documents.
Did You Know?Murray Stenson was given the title "Best Bartender in America" at the Tales of the Cocktail festival last July, 2010.
The Rise in FameIt was as if the drink had fallen into oblivion for several years but thanks to Stenson, The Last Word found its way back up the popularity charts, and became one of the most sought-after classic cocktail drinks today. Cocktail enthusiasts from the US, Canada and the United Kingdom specifically seem to have taken a liking to the drink, and folks from Washington, Michigan, Colorado, Oregon and California are its top patrons. In other news, the legendary bartender was diagnosed with a heart condition last 2018 that required him to undergo surgery. Thankfully, those who were inspired and influenced by Stenson's years of excellent work decided to return their gratitude by initiating a fundraising activity for his fast recovery.
The Perfect PairPlanning to prepare this drink for a party? The taste of this cocktail could be quite tricky, so it's actually best served alone. But we recommend serving this cocktail alongside simple bread, plain dishes and desserts that are not too sweet, so as not to clash with the flavor of the cocktail.
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
Tonight’s Pub Night feature cocktail is The Last Word! Be sure to try this Detroit prohibition-era invention that melds gin, chartreuse, lime and maraschino liqueur to create a unique and delicious cocktail that pairs wonderfully with our grilled specials and cocktail-inspired desserts. Yes, please...with a cherry on top! #thelastwordcocktail #thelastword #cocktail
Love that bars across Seattle have been featuring "The Last Word" cocktail in honor of Murray for winning America's best bartender— tan vinh (@tanvinhseattle) August 12, 2010
View this post on Instagram
Thank you, NOLA, for introducing me to The Last Word cocktail. 🍸 . . . . #bar #cocktail #thelastwordcocktail #thelastword #chartreuse #gin #maraschinoliqueur #lime #shakennotstirred #libations #sip #thirstybitches #drinky #drink #mixology #crisp #sundayfunday #craftcocktails #thankyounola #instadrink #drinkporn #cocktailqueen #drinkability
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Updated: September 11, 2019.
About to try the last word cocktail... The bartender told me to prepare for a wild ride. pic.twitter.com/mjA7bZ9Kdr— My name is Byf (Lore Daddy) (@MyNameIsByf) August 6, 2015