A rich, refreshing drink from Mexico, the star of Cinco de Mayo. The best tequila cocktail from the Land of Enchantment that’s perfect not only for summer but all year round. Which one is it, you ask? Why, it’s none other than the Paloma cocktail! A delightful and invigorating alcoholic beverage famous for its combination of smooth tequila and cool mix of citrus juices, Paloma is a drink you surely won’t forget the taste of once you take a sip.
Delicious, fun and easy to make, you can create your own glass of Paloma even at the comfort of your home. Here’s how:
Paloma Cocktail Ingredients:
- Kosher salt
- 2 oz. grapefruit juice
- 5 oz. lime juice
- 2 oz. tequila
- 1 tsp sugar
- Club Soda
Paloma Cocktail Preparation:
- Wet glass rim with grapefruit wedge.
- Rim glass with kosher salt.
- Combine sugar, grapefruit juice and lime juice. Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Add tequila and ice then stir.
- Top with club soda
- Garnish with grapefruit wedge.
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsIf you're thinking that Paloma can't get any better, then we're telling you, it seriously can. Check out these other versions of the cocktail.
- The Campanella - Add reposado tequila, aperol and a bit of honey to make Paloma a lot more heavenly!
- Paloma Caliente- If you like your drink spicy, then you got to try this! With muddled jalapeño and mint mixed in, you're in for a spiced refreshing surprise.
- Strawberry Paloma - Strawberry-infused tequila and honey gives Paloma a tart flavor.
Know Your Ingredients!What makes Paloma the top tequila cocktail in Mexico?
- Kosher Salt - A type of salt that is edible and contains no additives like iodine.
- Grapefruit juice- As its name implies, it is juice from grapefruits. It can taste either very sour or sweet.
- Lime juice- Juice from limes that adds the citrus flavor to many cocktail recipes.
- Tequila-A type of spirit distilled from fresh blue agave.
- Sugar - A common sweetener used in different types of food.
- Club Soda - An artificially made carbonated water that contains either potassium salt or sodium salt.
Bar AccessoriesIt won't take a lot of effort for you to get the right equipment to prepare Paloma, because there are only three things you need!
- Cocktail Glass - In this recipe, the cocktail glass was used. However, other types of glasses can also be used in preparing Paloma, such as the highball glass or single rocks glass.
- Jigger- The bartending equivalent of measuring spoons and cups.
- Mixing Spoon - Steel spoons with long handles to best stir your drinks.
The HistoryBeing a classic cocktail, it’s inevitable for the origins of Paloma be lost in history just like that of Mojito and Cosmopolitan. Speculations of how this cocktail was created are being considered, one of which is that the drink was said to be named and inspired by the folk song from the 1860s entitled “La Paloma”. Another is that it was created by La Capilla bar owner Don Javier Delgado Corona. A pamphlet entitled ”Popular Cocktails of the Rio Grande” published by Evan Harrison was also thought of as the first to introduce Paloma, though this has already been debunked.
The Rise in Fame
Only the most amazing cocktails will ever have a day every year dedicated to them, and Paloma must be a whole different level-exemplary, even- for its holiday to be celebrated not only in the US but also worldwide. It shows in how much the drink's fame has been smooth sailing for over a decade, especially in Mauritius, Albania, Puerto Rico, Kenya and the Philippines. In the US, enthusiasts from New Mexico, California, Arizona, Texas and Hawaii seem to love Paloma the most. Vermont senator Bernie Sanders held a house party for more than 100,000 supporters last 2015, wherein a version of Paloma was served. The said version is now named after him.
The Perfect PairNeed the best food choices to pair with Paloma? Think Mexican flavors! Tacos, nachos and all the festive and traditional dishes in Mexico will surely balance out Paloma’s taste and leave you full and satisfied-if not, asking for seconds!
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
You can do anything if you have @halfbakedharvest’s Chamomile Strawberry Paloma in hand! 👉To find the #recipe, (& all of the #Cocktail#recipes featured on this account) click the link in profile 🎉Featured on the Tequila Feed on our Website | thefeedfeed.com/tequila (Feed edited by @apartment_bartender) ⭐Keep tagging "#feedfeed @thefeedfeed" and REGISTER on thefeedfeed.com for a chance to be featured here and on our site! . . #happyhour #cocktails #cocktail#drinks#drink #thirsty #mixology#cocktails #paloma #strawberry #chamomile #palomacocktail #tequila #mixeddrinks #summercocktail
The Paloma is a perfect cocktail.— Alison Leiby (@AlisonLeiby) May 10, 2018
View this post on Instagram
Paloma ☀️ if you’re a fan of the margarita you’re going to love this bubbly grapefruit tequila-based cocktail. On that note, have the very best Saturday, friends 🙌😊 #paloma #tequilacocktails #cocktailrecipes #cocktailsofinstagram #palomacocktail #theforkedspoon . . . 🌟 Tap @theforkedspoon and click “link in profile” for links to ALL my recipes 👆👆👆 Or, find the complete recipe and full post here, https://theforkedspoon.com/paloma-recipe/
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Updated: October 11, 2019.
My Spanish teacher asked me if I knew what a Paloma is. I described the cocktail. Apparently, it's a dove. It's clear mine is more useful.— Alyssa (@AlyssaCarmenXO) June 24, 2014