If you’re looking for an alcohol hit without the sting, think Cactus Cooler. This sweet and fruity cocktail is something that will surely make your bar and party nights memorable. Not yet as popular as other cocktails, it’s one cocktail mix you should check out when you go bar-hopping. Cactus coolers are actually based on a drink that was inspired by a drink of the same name. These drinks are usually sweet and are popular among millennials.
Cactus Cooler Tequila Cocktail Ingredients:
- 1 oz tequila
- 1 oz orange juice
- 1/2 oz tangerine juice
- 1/2 oz lime juice
- 1 1/2 oz cranberry juice
- 1/2 oz triple sec
- 4 oz lemon-lime soda
Cactus Cooler Tequila Cocktail Preparation:
- Mix everything together in a shaker with ice, except for the lemon-lime soda.
- Strain the mixture into a Collins glass.
- Top the glass with lemon-lime soda.
- Garnish with a tangerine slice and sprig of mint.
1. Cactus Cooler Cocktail
A variation of the Cactus Cooler Tequila Cocktail, this drink makes use of mandarin vodka instead of tequila. This is a perfect drink on summer night parties.
- Fill a Collins glass with ice. Add the Mandarin vodka and Peach Schnapps.
- Add the orange juice and pineapple juice.
- Top the glass with lemonade for that refreshing cocktail that will make you forget you’re gorging on alcohol.
2. Cactus Cooler Shot
This shot is a variant of the Cactus Cooler Cocktail but is less sweet without the juices found on the former. Enjoy the shot within the drink that does not necessarily get tempered by the energy soda and orange juice.
- 1/2 cup energy soda
- 3/4 oz Mandarin vodka
- 3/4 oz Peach Schnapps
- 1 oz orange juice
- Prepare the shot by combining the Mandarin vodka and Peach Schnapps.
- In a Collins glass wide enough so the shot glass can fit, add 1/2 cup of energy soda and orange juice.
- Drop the shot glass into the glass. Enjoy!
Know Your Ingredients!
Here are some of the ingredients mentioned here that you would like to know of:
- Mandarin vodka is vodka infused with the peel of mandarin oranges. They are someone sweet without the added sugar and is a perfect base for your cocktails or shots.
- Tequila. Made from blue agave from Mexico, this is an all-time favorite shot in bars drank after a lick of salt and bite into a lemon or lime slice. It is also a good base for flavored shots such as the cactus coolers.
- Peach Schnapps. A sweet schnapps, this is a very good addition to cocktails and shots. It is fairly easy to make so if you have the patience, check out the recipe here.
- Triple sec liqueur. A variety of curacao, the triple sec liqueur is an orange-flavored liqueur that is both strong and sweet. It is colorless so it blends well with other colored liquors like brandy or dark rum.
- Energy soda. A soda with high caffeine content. It is a popular drink for those wanting the boost of caffeine, especially on a hectic day
- Collins glass - a tall glass with a narrow body, usually has a capacity of 200ml
- Shot glass - a miniature glass with a capacity of 1 oz
- Shaker - an essential container for the bartenders. They claim that the drinks are better-tasting than simply stirred.
The Rise in Fame
The huge interest in cactus cooler comes from the United States of America and Canada. In the US, the states most interested in the Cactus Cooler are Arizona, California, and Nevada. In Canada, it is popular only in Ontario.
The Perfect Pair
What is an amazing drink without equally amazing food? Here’s a few suggested food items that will do well with your chosen cactus cooler drink.
- Cactus Cooler Tequila Cocktail pairs well with Mexican cuisine like tacos, empanadas with pork filling and guacamole, Japanese cuisines like sushi, or dishes like pulled pork or grilled pork.
- Cactus Cooler Cocktail and Shots (made with Mandarin vodka) pairs well with smoked fish, smoked ham, smoked beef, beetroot, pickled cucumber, radish, and cheese.
See What Others Think
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.