Yes, making instant pot moonshine is doable. All you need is a pressure cooker, copper tubing, a drill, a metal pot, a large plastic bucket, cheesecloth, cornmeal, sugar, and yeast.
When making moonshine, a byproduct called methanol is made. This component has adverse effects on a person's vision and can cause blindness. It’s good to know the risks and hazards that may come with it, so make sure you read the basics of moonshine making first before making instant pot moonshine.
Things You’ll Need
- 15 gal Metal Pot
- 2 yards Copper Tubing (¼” wide)
- Pressure Cooker
- Drill (1/4" bit)
- Large Plastic Bucket
- Cheese Cloth
Making Your Still
To start this off, you need a pressure cooker that’s dedicated to making moonshine. If you already own a pressure cooker that you hold dear, you should consider buying a new one that you don’t mind drilling a hole into.
- Drill a hole in the lid of your pressure cooker.
- With your new hole, thread the copper tubing through it. This will act as your condensing tube.
- You can secure your thread with some duct tape if it feels loose.
Instant Pot Moonshine Recipe
The first thing you have to do is make the mash for your moonshine before going to the distilling process. When it’s time to distill your fermented mash, be sure you have everything set up for things to run smoothly.
During distillation, you have to discard those troublesome foreshots (methanol). Ensure the items you are using are clean and sterile, so impurities are kept at a minimum.
How to Make
- Pour your water into the metal pot and bring it to a boil.
- Add your cornmeal into the boiling water and stir until well combined.
- Let it cook until it turns into a thick paste.
- Take the heat off and let it cool.
- Pour your mixture into a clean plastic bucket.
- Pour the sugar and yeast into the mixture and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cover the bucket with the cheesecloth and store it in a cool and dark place. Let it ferment for a week.
- Strain the mash with cheesecloth into the pressure cooker.
- Clamp the lid down and place it on the burner.
- Run the copper tubing from the lid to a nearby sink or pot filled with cold water.
- Submerge the middle of the copper tubing into the water. The other end of the tube should be aimed at a clean container on the floor.
- Heat the pressure cooker at around 177 degrees Fahrenheit.
- After a few minutes of condensation, discard the 2 oz. of methanol produced in the bucket.
- Once the temperature begins faltering, you can now collect the condensation.
- Transfer the alcohol into bottles or jars you have in your home.
Remember, you have to be registered as a distiller to make your moonshine. Making instant pot moonshine can be dangerous if you don’t follow the instructions carefully, so please exercise extreme caution. If you want to make legal alcohol drinks, you can try homemade wines, vodka, or whiskey instead.
Do you want to try this daredevil moonshine recipe? What other crazy ways can you make moonshine? Let us know in the comments below.