Muddling is an essential step in preparing many cocktails, the most popular of which is the mojito. A muddler is used for crushing herbs, fruits, and ice, among others. It is designed to draw out the flavors and aroma of the ingredients.
How to Muddle Different Ingredients
How to Muddle Herbs
Herbs are the most delicate to muddle since breaking the veins can result in bitter cocktails. Give it a gentle press and 2-3 twists. This is enough to bruise but not to disintegrate the leaves.
How to Muddle A Sugar Cube
- Add 2-3 dash bitters and a splash of sugar to the sugar cube. Wait for 5 seconds, or more so the sugar cube absorbs the liquid.
- Tap a few times to crush the sugar.
- Press the muddler to the crushed sugar and twist firmly until the sugar no longer has large clumps.
How to Muddle Fruits and Vegetables
- Put the lime wedges into the muddling glass. Add a teaspoon of sugar.
- Holding the glass firmly, press the muddler hard to the fruits and twist it.
- Continue with the press and twist until you achieve this.
Muddling diced cucumbers can be a bit tricky since they are a bit hard to press down. It takes a few tries before you can work on them. Meanwhile, muddling berries, pineapple, and other fruits are a lot easier than cucumber and limes. Just go with the old trick of press and twist until all of the solid parts are well-mashed.
Getting the ingredients appropriately muddled is the secret to getting the most delicious cocktails that will keep you and your guests asking for more. If you’re planning to buy a muddler, we have rounded up the best tips on how to choose a muddler. You can also check out this review of the best cocktail muddlers.
Check out our monthly free samples or sign up for our free VIP club to avail of our exclusive rebate program. No credit cards are required. No need to purchase anything. We just want to say thank you.