Which cocktail is both sweet and sour, has a lovely, light pink color and is undeniably delicious? You know it-Cosmopolitan! Most commonly known as "Cosmo", The Cosmopolitan was quite an icon in the '90s, and its rich, fruity goodness remains as one of the most sought-after fancy concoctions today. Party the night away with this easy recipe of only four ingredients!
Sure, it may be past National Cosmopolitan Day, but that's no excuse to stop yourself from enjoying a glass (or two) of this cocktail! Here's how you can prepare the Cosmo at home!
- 0.5 oz. lime juice
- 1 oz. Cointreau
- 1 dash of cranberry juice
- 1.5 oz. citrus vodka
- Combine lime juice, Cointreau, cranberry juice and citrus vodka in a tall glass.
- Add ice and shake vigorously.
- Strain the concoction to a martini glass.
- Garnish with a lime wheel or an orange peel.
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsWho says Cosmopolitan is just a girly drink? Well actually, like any other cocktail, this cocktail is for everyone to enjoy! Don't believe us? Try some of these versions of the cocktail recipe and see for yourself!
- All That Glitters - They say all that glitters is not gold. But this time it sure is, and it's even edible!
- Cosmojito - Cosmopolitan flavor infused with the refreshing taste of Mojito? Sign us up!
- Cosmogroni - We've heard of the Mojito and Cosmopolitan, now here's Cosmopolitan with a touch of Negroni!
Know Your Ingredients!No need to make a long list of things to grab at the supermarket as we’ve specified them all for you! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Lime Juice - With the abundance of cocktails that has lime juice as an ingredient, all bars surely have some ready-made juice or fresh limes (for freshly squeezed juice) in stock.
- Cointreau -- Cointreau is a triple sec liqueur originating from France.
- Cranberry juice - This is literally juice made of cranberry that may sometimes contain sugar, water and other fruit juices.
- Citrus-flavored Vodka - Vodka with citrusy flavors that complete the Cosmopolitan mix.
Bar AccessoriesGiven its fame, the Cosmopolitan is the choice of drink to serve in cocktail parties. If you’re planning to throw your own anytime soon, then make sure you have these on your shelf:
- Jigger - The jigger may be little, but it plays a big part in preparing cocktails, as the amount of ingredients added to a drink can make or break its flavor.
- Shaker tin - The cocktail shaker is every mixologist’s companion in executing the most entertaining part of preparing the drink.
- Strainer - Since the recipe requires ice cubes, it will be best to use a strainer to get those out of the way before serving the cocktail. Some bar accessories come in sets, wherein the main equipment can be bought altogether.
- Martini Glass- A fancy drink needs a fancy cocktail glass, and for the Cosmopolitan, the Martini glass is your best bet.
The HistorySimilar to Mojito, Cosmopolitan's history remains a great mystery. Some say a cocktail similar to it emerged in the '90s and that the cocktail was called Daisy. In another possible origin, it was the company, Ocean Spray's marketing idea in the 1960s that gave birth to the vodka-lime cranberry mix. Several other claims were made, but whoever deserves the credit for the creation of the Cosmopolitan recipe must surely be proud of how well-loved it has become.
The Rise in FameCosmopolitan was huge way back 2004, specifically in Cyprus, Greece, Ireland, United Kingdom and Australia. But in the succeeding years, its popularity began to drop. In the US, too, the drink's fame were far from becoming how it was before. Nevertheless, its loyal supporters from New York, Washington, Massachusetts, New Jersey and California give their best efforts to keep the drink on the menu.
The Perfect PairOur Everyday Life shares some tasty appetizers that go perfectly with this fancy cocktail, namely shrimp cocktail and, amusingly enough, cheese and crackers!
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
Happy National Cosmopolitan Day! So my drink today is, you guessed it, a🍸Cosmopolitan🍸 😂. I made it with 3cl vodka, 3cl triple sec, 4.5cl cranberry juice and 1.5cl lime juice. So delicious. Cheers! 🍸 #nationalcosmopolitanday #cocktailhour #cocktailoftheday #cocktailtime #cocktail #classiccocktails #cosmopolitancocktail #instadrink #drinkstagram #drinkup #drink #drinkoftheday #vodkacocktail #vodka #wodka #homebar #homebartender #🍸 #booze #cheers #imbibe #schottzwiesel #wodkagorbatschow #lefavoritriplesec #whatsandreasdrinking #cocktailgram
Let’s talk about cocktails 😜🍸 If you know me, you know I love a cocktail or two although I usually only have them on special occasions like holidays. This one pictured is a Cosmopolitan which is one of my faves but my all time favourite has to be a S… https://t.co/bP0qtf1MVa pic.twitter.com/ey44dLgJH9— Laura ✨ (@blushnbronze) September 26, 2019
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Updated: September 30, 2019.
Cosmopolitan has to be one of my favorite cocktails ever— ✨ (@samouelaa) July 15, 2018