- IDEAL, TRADITIONAL FLAVOR | Woodsy profile with subtle hints of licorice, saffron, peel, and caramel. Perfect combination to enhance your favorite mixed drink
- STAPLE FOR DRINKS | Peychaud's is the original bitter for legendary classics like Manhattans, Old Fashioned's and Whiskey Sours. Don't ruin your favorites with other bitters
- MADE IN NEW ORLEANS | With uniquely sourced ingredients, Peychaud's bitters provide a flavor profile meant to compliment and not overbear your drinks
- SINCE 1800's | From prior to prohibition, Peychaud's was the bitter of choice. Surviving through tough times, Peychaud's stood the test of time and has since maintained to be an all time favorite
- ORIGINAL FORMULA | If it's the best, then there's no reason to change. Peychaud's perfected the recipe and has never looked back. Through the millions of drinks it has been served in, you'll know why we have changed one bit
Details: In 1838, Antoine Amedie Peychaud, owner of a New Orleans apothecary, treated his friends to brandy toddies of his own recipe, including his "Peychaud's Bitters," made from a secret family recipe. The toddies were made using a double-ended egg cup as a measuring cup or jigger, then known as a "coquetier" (pronounced "ko-k-tay"), from which the word "cocktail" was derived. Thus, the world's first cocktail was born! By 1850, the Sazerac Cocktail, made with Sazerac French brandy and Peychaud's Bitters, was immensely popular, and became the first "branded" cocktail. In 1873, the recipe for the Sazerac Cocktail was altered to replace the French brandy with American Rye whiskey, and a dash of absinthe was added. In 1933, the Sazerac Cocktail was bottled and marketed by the Sazerac Company of New Orleans. That same year, "Herbsaint," a pastis, was made according to a French recipe; "Herbsaint" was so named for the New Orleans term for wormwood - "Herb Sainte." In 1940, the Official Sazerac Cocktail recipe was modified to use Herbsaint as the absinthe. Finally, in 2000, the Official Sazerac Cocktail recipe was modified to use Sazerac Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey.
Package Dimensions: 7.3 x 3.0 x 2.8 inches