Nobody can resist a glass of Root Beer Float. We just can’t get enough of it! Children and adults alike enjoy the sweet and fizzy taste of root beer combined with delicious vanilla ice cream. Surely, this irresistible float is perfect for hot summer days and for any occasion. How about adding a little more fun into your Root Beer Float by trying this recipe specially made for adults? We guarantee you'll love it!
Spice it up by adding a dash of liqueur! Here's how:
Root Beer Float Ingredients:
- 2 scoops French vanilla ice cream
- 1 oz Bourbon
- 1 oz Root Liqueur
- 3 - 4 oz Root beer
- Whipped cream Cherries
Root Beer Float Preparation:
- Put two scoops of French vanilla ice cream and into the glass.
- Measure the bourbon and root liqueur and pour.
- Add the root beer to the top of the glass and pour slowly for it to become foamy
- Top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry
- Drop a straw into the drink and serve.
Enjoyed making this drink? Share this recipe!
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsThe fun doesn't stop here, as we've put together several versions of the Root Beer Float for you to enjoy!
- Deep Fried Root Beer Float- Say what? Yes, you read that right. Using root beer in making the batter, surprise yourself with this delicious funnel cake recipe.
- Smokey S'mores Root Beer Float-Another interesting twist to the classic float, this recipe contains chocolate and vanilla ice cream, chocolate chips, torched marshmallows and more that'll surely be a delight to your taste buds!
- Brown Cow- If root beer and vanilla ice cream isn't enough, then make a sweeter chocolate ice cream float! In some cases, Brown Cow may also refer to floats that uses Cola instead of Root Beer.
- Root Beer Float Smoothie-With Greek yogurt, bananas, coconut milk and a few more additions, you can now easily turn your classic Root Beer Float into a smoothie.
Know Your Ingredients!The secret to every great root beer float is carefully-picked ingredients which make the best combination of the recipe.
- French vanilla ice cream - Regular vanilla ice cream usually does not contain egg yolks. On the other hand, French vanilla ice cream does, which contributes to its sweet taste and yellow shade, and its flavor goes better with root beer.
- Bourbon - Originated from the US, Bourbon is basically the American Whiskey. This spirit is distilled and barrel-aged, and is made of at least 51% corn.
- Root Liqueur- An amber-brown liquor distilled from sugarcane that mimics the taste of root teas, the origin of root beer.
- Root beer - The star of this recipe, this soft drink may be alcoholic or non-alcoholic, thus there are also recipes for root beer float that can be enjoyed even by children.
- Whipped cream - Surely, we’ve all seen this widely-used topping on many desserts and drinks. Here’s an easy whipped cream recipe for you to get started.
- Cherries - By cherries we mean Maraschino cherries, the type of cherries that are used as garnish in cocktail drinks.
Bar AccessoriesOf course, you can’t just make an awesome float without proper equipment. Here’s what you'll need:
- Ice Cream Scoop-As the name implies, it is used to scoop ice cream but it can also be used to scoop other ingredients in your everyday recipes.
- Jigger- Used to measure the amount of bourbon and root liqueur. . This jigger is used in several cocktail mixes and thus is a bar must-have.
- Whipped Cream Dispenser -You wouldn’t want your whipped cream to be all over the place, so a whipped cream dispenser can help you control and design your whipped cream in whichever direction you want.
- Soda Glass-Root Beer Floats are usually served in these tall glasses to prevent the drink from spilling, keep the whipped cream in place and still look pleasing to the eye.
- Straw- Not necessarily required, but paper straws make it easier for you to drink your float while adding points to the overall appearance of your Root Beer Float. If you’d rather have a more eco-friendly and reusable alternative, then you can also try metal straws.
The HistoryThe existence of this wonderful drink is all thanks to Frank J. Wisner, owner of the Cripple Creek Cow Mountain Gold Mining Company. The idea of creating the drink came to Wisner one night in August 1893, after witnessing the snow-capped Cow Mountain-which looked a lot like vanilla ice cream-glimmer under the moonlight as he was thinking of new ways to serve soda water to the townsfolk.
The Rise in FameHaving been loved by generations, the popularity of the Root Beer Float has significantly increased over the years. It seems to be a favorite amongst the citizens of US, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia and the Philippines. Specifically, the top five States that has shown the most interest in the drink are Wisconsin, North Dakota, Nebraska, Idaho, and Utah. In celebration of the National Root Beer Float Day, A&W Restaurant gave away free A&W root beer floats last August 6 to everyone who dropped by their diners.
The Perfect PairBecause of its incredible taste, it's not surprising that Root Beer Float goes well with many dishes. From everyday favorites-like burgers, mac and cheese, and fish and chips-to sweet treats-like waffles and fruits, Root Beer Float just makes any meal a lot better. Why, even popcorn for movie nights will be perfect for this drink!
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
Went to Carl’s bc I was craving a root beer float and the lady said “sorry we dont make those anymore” Luis said “so you got ice cream right now?” She said “yes” he said “does your soda machine work?” she said “yes?” He said “girllll if you don’t make that root bear float LMAO— xok.rr (@_dntFollowNunez) September 8, 2019
View this post on Instagram
Summer ⛱☀️🏝 is the perfect time to unwind and unplug from our technology-saturated lives. #AD And for this reason, I’m glad that we’re taking part in @awrootbeer A&W Family Fun Nights! 😃 . A&W is celebrating 100 years of sweet family memories and this summer, they are inviting families to ‘Take the Pledge’ to go technology-free for 1 hour on Friday nights and create special memories instead! . To help us celebrate family fun nights, A&W is also inviting everyone to recreate the perfect timeless family night treat: A&W’s Original Root Beer Float! 😍 Oh, boy. I didn’t know there’s so many A&W Root Beer float recipes you can make! My fave is the Brownie Sundae Root Beer Float.. yummm! 😋 . And to make it even sweeter, you can download a coupon redeemable for a FREE 2 liter of A&W Root Beer when you “Take the Pledge” at www.rootbeer.com! Now, you have a reason to make your own yummy A&W Root Beer floats! 😀 . Enjoy the rest of your #summer!!! ❤️ Image courtesy @awrootbeer #sponsored #rootbeer #rootbeerfloat #foodie #foodies #foodiesofinstagram #lifestyle #lifestyleblogger #dcblogger #vablogger #mdblogger #sweets #summertime #instadrink #hipmamasplace
Me telling my dad he probably should get a root beer float bc if his diabetes My dad: pic.twitter.com/3obSXbduHI— Noele (@NoeleAlder) September 5, 2019
Root Beer Float
Nobody can resist a glass of Root Beer Float. We just can’t get enough of it! Children and adults alike enjoy the sweet and fizzy taste of root beer combined with delicious vanilla ice cream. Surely, this irresistible float is perfect for hot summer days and for any occasion.
2 scoops French vanilla ice cream
1 oz Bourbon
1 oz Root Liqueur
3 - 4 oz Root beer
Whipped cream Cherries
Put two scoops of French vanilla ice cream and into the glass.
Measure the bourbon and root liqueur and pour.
Add the root beer to the top of the glass and pour slowly for it to become foamy
Top with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry
Because of its incredible taste, it's not surprising that Root Beer Float goes well with many dishes. From everyday favorites-like burgers, mac and cheese, and fish and chips-to sweet treats-like waffles and fruits, Root Beer Float just makes any meal a lot better. Why, even popcorn for movie nights will be perfect for this drink!