The countdown has started, and sometime soon you'll see festive decorations all around, even snow falling to the ground! Ready for the holidays? Get yourself well-equipped (and cozy!) for the season by preparing everyone's favorite holiday drink-Hot Buttered Rum!
The warmth and sweetness of this drink is what everyone needs during the bitter winter days. If you've only heard about it now, know that some say this drink-that is often associated to Hot Toddy-is quite complex. Don't worry, we've written down everything you need! Here's how you can prepare Hot Buttered Rum:
Hot Buttered Rum Ingredients:For the batter:
- 1 cup Butter (room temperature)
- 1 cup Brown sugar
- 1 cup Powdered sugar
- 1 cup Vanilla ice cream
- 1 tsp Ground cinnamon
- 0.25 tsp Ground clove
- 1 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 1 scoop Batter
- 2 oz Aged rum
- 4 oz Hot water
- Cinnamon stick
Hot Buttered Rum Preparation:
- To prepare the buttered rum batter, put all ingredients into a bowl and mix them together. Electric mixer is the best equipment to use in doing so.
- Pour the butter mixture into a plastic container and freeze for at least one hour.
- Prepare the boiling water while waiting and remove from heat.
- Now, grab your mugs. Put one scoop of the rum batter in every mug.
- Add aged rum and boiling water.
- Finally, garnish with a cinnamon stick. Whipped cream may also be used.
Did You Know?
Hot Buttered Rum, like Hot Toddy, is also popular because it is said to have medicinal properties that can relieve flu.
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsIf you're looking for something that can make your drink extra special, then you might want to try these recipes!
- Alcohol-free Hot Buttered Rum- Kids will probably want a sip too if they see you enjoying a delicious glass of Hot Toddy. Simply take the rum off the recipe so they can try it, too!
- Honey Buttered Rum- A variation that's a lot thicker and sweeter than the original to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Coffee Hot Buttered Rum-A little bit of caffeine won't hurt, isn't that right coffee lovers?
Know Your Ingredients!This cocktail may have a lot of ingredients, but they're pretty easy to find! In fact, some of them are probably sitting in your fridge right now! For the batter:
- Butter, Brown sugar, Powdered sugar, Ground cinnamon, Ground clove and Ground Nutmeg- Common and easy to find baking ingredients found in almost every kitchen.
- Vanilla ice cream - Remember to grab an extra tub of ice cream the next time you go shopping so you can make Hot Buttered Rum!
- Aged rum - Colored rum that has been aged in a barrel for several years.
- Cinnamon stick - The perfect garnish that's also suitable for the season.
Bar AccessoriesHot Buttered Rum uses more common kitchen utensils than actual bar accessories, as listed below:
- Stainless Mixing Bowls - These bowls are easy to clean and have wide rims, perfect for cooking, baking and in preparing Hot Buttered Rum batter!
- Whisk - In the absence of electric mixers, non-slip whisks are recommended to make mixing the ingredients for the batter easier.
- Freezer Container - Long-lasting and convenient plastic containers made especially to preserve your food in the freezer.
- Jigger - The ever-so-useful cocktail jigger would help in preparing accurate amounts of rum.
- Glass Irish Coffee Mug - The best mug for Hot Buttered Rum. Sometimes, people use regular coffee mugs in preparing hot buttered rum while others prefer beer mugs.
The HistoryHot Toddy has been around much longer than we expected. Originally from Europe, it has been around since 1655 when Jamaica was captured by the British Royal Navy, and it became one of the alcoholic drinks infused with spices that helped them keep warm during long, harsh winters.
Did You Know?
"Toddy" is the term used to describe the palm wine in India which is made of sugar, spices and hot water.
The Rise in FameInteresting as it is, Hot Buttered Rum might not just be as talked about as it was more than a decade ago. But it reclaims its place in the top spot every winter, year after year, showing that it still really is everyone's favorite holiday drink. Countries that never forget making Hot Buttered Rum during the holidays are US-specifically, Alaska, Washington, Montana, Oregon and Idaho-Canada, Nepal, Japan and Australia. This beverage, along with tips and hacks to create them, has been featured in many media websites such as Chicago Magazine, Buffalo News and The Mercury News.
You can check out 4 other awesome holiday cocktail recipes beside Hot Buttered Rum here.
The Perfect PairIt's not difficult to see that, with the sweet flavor that Hot Buttered Rum has, it should only go with desserts that can complement the drink. Gingerbread cookies, creme brulee and cheesecakes are good examples of desserts that perfectly pair with it.
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
it was 27 degrees today but that's not stopping me from having a hot buttered rum— Anna 💛🐥 약속 (@jiminiminii_) September 7, 2019
View this post on Instagram
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Updated: October 2, 2019.
Hot buttered rum. It's a Christmas cocktail but i love it anytime of the year. Milk punchs are good because they are so easy to make.— House music is still the best music (@ChrisNelson64) July 23, 2019