'Aquafaba' came from two Latin words: aqua means water, and faba means beans. Aquafaba is the water where legumes such as chickpeas are cooked. It is used as a replacement for egg whites in a lot of vegan dishes and drinks. Drinks that need an egg in the mixture like whiskey sour , eggnog and a lot more, can be enjoyed without sacrificing the texture and flavor with aquafaba.
Here are some ways you can enjoy aquafaba as a drink.
1. Whiskey Sour Aquafaba
The usual recipe of a whiskey sour, instead of egg whites that gives its foamy texture, aquafaba is added. This makes the cocktail a good choice for vegan people.
- 45ml Whiskey
- 30ml lemon juice
- 45ml simple syrup
- 45ml Aquafaba (chickpeas water )
- maraschino cherry
- Lemon wedge
- Just like other whiskey sours, put all together the ingredients in a shaker then mix properly.
- Transfer to a chilled glass then add ice.
- Garnish with maraschino cherry and lemon wedge.
2. Vegan Monkey Sour
Same as the one above, this one just have a specific liquor mixed with it. The flavor of citrusy lemon and the foamy aquafaba taste complements well with the chosen alcohol.
- 1 ½ oz Whiskey
- 1oz lemon
- ½ oz simple syrup
- 1oz aquafaba ( chickpeas water)
- dash of angostura bitters
- In a shaker, put everything, but not the bitters.
- Shake vigorously.
- Transfer in a glass with ice and garnish with lemon peel.
3. Creamy Vegan Eggnog
Eggnog without an egg makes it ironic yet interesting. Replacing egg whites with aquafaba makes it a little healthier than the usual.
- 3 1⁄2ozWhiskey or rum or Brandy
- Pinch of cinnamon
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- a vanilla pod
- 10ml maple syrup
- 1 1/3cup almond milk
- 120ml aquafaba (chickpeas water)
- For a few hours, soak raisins with rum.
- Using a blender, blend raisin mixture, cinnamon powder, half vanilla bean pod, almond milk and maple syrup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk aquafaba until fluffy and stiff peaks. Add the half Vanilla pod into the mixture.
- Transfer to a container the almond milk mixture together with the aquafaba mix and stir together.
- Pour in a cocktail glass then serve with a dash of cinnamon powder and a stick on top.
4. Tea Room Sour
The clean grasy flavor of Cachaca mixed with chosen rum and zesty lemon makes a refreshing drink.
- Mix all ingredients in a shaker, then mix properly.
- Using a strainer, pour the mixture into a chilled glass and serve.
5.Cranberry Orange Gin Fizz
Feels like summer! With the cool and refreshing color of this drink to the taste it gives, leaves you satisfied.
- 120ml sugar
- 240ml water
- A whole orange , sliced
- A pinch of cardamom and ginger powder
- 60ml gin
- 30ml simple syrup with orange flavor
- 60ml Cranberry juice
- 15ml aquafaba (chickpeas water)
- 90ml sparkling water
- Make the simple syrup with orange flavor by combining sugar, water, orange cardamom and ginger over medium heat saucepan. Bring to boil.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down for an out 20-25mins. Set aside.
- To make the cocktail, in a shaker, combine all ingredients including the simple orange syrup, then shake vigorously.
- Transfer to a highball glass using a strainer and top it off with sparkling water.
6.Husk Spiced Bam Bam Christmas Cocktail
Christmas is just around the corner, make a cocktail like this and feel the aroma of Christmas spirit!
- 1 ⁄2oz rum
- a strawberry
- 1⁄2oz lime juice
- 1tbsp raspberry liqueur
- 1tbsp cinnamon syrup
- ½ oz aquafaba ( chickpeas water)
- In a shaker, muddle strawberry then add all the ingredients in. Shake properly.
- Strain and serve.
- Garnish can be a dehydrated citrus and pomegranate seed if desired.
7.Vegan Spicy Pink Christmas Cocktail
The citrusy flavor from grapefruit combined with a little heat from peppers is a great combo for a Christmas' eve parties. Add more liquor for extra punch.
- Squeeze all the juice from the grapefruit.
- Drain the liquid from the can of chickpeas, use the liquid.
- Slice jalapeño thinly.
- In a shaker, mix all the ingredients together and shake vigorously.
- Pour the mixture in a glass and garnish with jalapeño slices.
Know Your Ingredients:
Nowadays aquafaba is used not only for vegan dishes but also in a lot of cuisines. The added flavor and richness as well as the foamy texture it provides that makes a lot of dishes and drinks exciting.
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.