A simple, elegant and satisfying glass of Whiskey Sour mix can refresh any kind of day. A day full of smiles or dismay will easily be complete with the sweet sensation of bourbon and the citrusy taste of lemon - which, when mixed together, can create something more than you can imagine!
Here's a recipe guide for you to follow in gaining a relaxing experience with the classic, whiskey sour mix.
Whiskey Sour Ingredients:
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 0.75 oz. lemon juice
- 1 tsp super fine sugar
- 0.5 oz egg white
- Angostura bitters
Whiskey Sour Preparation
- Start off with a cooled glass to contain the classic drink.
- With the help of your shaker, put all ingredients in, add ice and dry shake vigorously.
- Pour the mixture in your chosen cooled glass and add angostura bitters for a little punch.
Top with cherry for garnish and enjoy your simple yet elegant classic drink!
Watch it Here!
Recipe VariationsWe have featured 5 Must Try Whiskey Sour variations, each making the original recipe more exciting and compatible to your palette. Here three of the best Whiskey Sour recipe variations you can try and enjoy for yourself.
- Blackberry Whiskey Sour - Give your whiskey sour wholesome fruity flavor by adding fresh blackberries!
- Five-spiced Whiskey Sour - Throw in a few dashes of five-spiced powder for an intense flavor!
- Honey Whiskey Sour - If you'd rather have something sweeter, try this!
Know Your Ingredients!
The refreshing zesty zing of lemon on a good old sweet whiskey, accompanied by couple of friends and laughter, what can go wrong? Prepare angostura bitters, bourbon, lemon juice and sugar plus egg whites for more kick. This easy recipe can give you ideas on how you can create your own take on the classic whiskey sour mix drink.
- Fresh Lemon - This can give the drink a good vibe, that's why we recommend it fresh, but using concentrated juice is fine as well, since they are made for our convenience, just like this.
- Sugar - You're on the sweeter side? Add sugar for your delight, refined and granulated kind can be used for this.
- Whiskey - A tasty whiskey of your choice will surely enhance the flavor of this cocktail!
- Angostura bitters - Something to balance it off that will bring the flavors together.
- Egg whites - For extra kick. It's optional, but the drink can be more interesting with a little something.
- Cherry - Everybody loves a cherry or two on top, make it your choice!
Jigger - Used to make sure everything is measured properly.
Shaker tin- Shake it all well with this cocktail shaker, durable and stainless, easy to use and easy to clean.
Cocktail Skewer - Holds garnishes in it's right place.
The HistoryThe first appearance of Whiskey Sour was in 1862, in Jerry Thomas' "How to Mix Drinks". From three basic ingredients- sweet, sour and spirit- it evolved to a lot of forms, becoming known for its simplicity and serene taste.
The Rise in Fame
The Perfect Pair
These savory and delicious food can be paired with a good glass of whiskey sour cocktail : pork ribs, cheese such as Roquefort, brie, and cheddar. It depends on how strong or mild your whiskey is. Tangy or tart fruits like apples and pears, last but not the least, dark chocolate. Yum!
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
- S U M M E R S O U R 1½ oz High Proof Bourbon 1 oz Lillet Blanc ¾ oz Orange Curaçao ¾ oz Fresh Lemon Juice ½ oz Simple Syrup 2 Dashes Lemon Bitters 1 Dash Absinthe Add all ingredients to a shaking tin and then add ice. Shake well and strain over ice into a double rocks glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint. - Minor additions and adjustments on the classics is where it’s at. This one was amazing ✨ . . . #SummerSour #WhiskeySour #SideCar #Riff #Whiskey #Summer #Absinthe #Lemon #Mint #ClearIce
When life gives you lemons, make a whiskey sour 🥃🍋— Jennifer Johnston (@Jennpearson3383) September 21, 2019
View this post on Instagram
“Black Cherry Bourbon Sour” - After how delicious the marmalade whiskey sour was a couple of weeks ago, I thought I’d have another variation on the theme. Black Cherry Jam replacing the sugar in a whiskey sour. The cherry pairs so well with the deep, rich, oaky (that’s probably not a word) bourbon. Simple but delicious! Details below: - 60ml Bourbon @woodfordreserve 30ml Lemon Juice 30g Black Cherry Jam 1 egg white 2 dashes Angostura Bitters @angosturauk - Dry shake all ingredients vigorously, then add ice and shake again to chill. Double strain into an ice-filled double rocks glass, garnish with cherries - #woodfordreserve #bourbonlove #bourbonenthusiast #bourbonporn #blackcherry #bourbonsour #whiskeysour #whiskeysours #angostura #bitters #lemonjuice #eggwhite #eggwhites #angosturabitters #craftycocktails #cocktailculture
Someone FedEx me a whiskey sour— Brad Pitt (@Burritobrian56) September 19, 2019
More About Whiskey Sour
- Irish peach sour - A summer vibe version of whiskey sour.
- Tamarind cocktail - Variations of tamarind drinks mixed with different spirits.
- Cherry sour - A very cherry version of the whiskey sour!
- Bourbon sour - A whiskey version mixed with lime and syrup.
- Rum sour- It all started on a shell!
- Scotch sour - Sour and strong won't make a drink go wrong!
- Amaretto sour - Bitter sweet drink with a nutty flavor cocktail.
- Cranberry sour - A time to be thankful with cranberry sour drink.
- Pomegranate sour - A drink with a superb taste and fllavor.
- Aquafaba cocktails - An egg less cocktail made not just for vegans.
- Apricot sour - Sweet and tart flavors of apricot combined with citrusy lemon and a kick of whiskey.
Kahlua sour - For all the coffee and cocktail lovers!
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Updated: September 27, 2019.