A simple, elegant, and satisfying glass of Whiskey Sour mix can refresh any kind of day. A day full of smiles or dismay will easily be complete with the sweet sensation of bourbon and the citrus taste of lemon - which, when mixed together, can create something more than you can imagine!
Did you know? August 25 is National Whiskey Sour Day! Share this trivia!
Here's a recipe guide for you to follow in gaining a relaxing experience with the
classic, whiskey sour mix.
Whiskey Sour Ingredients:
- 2 oz. bourbon
- 0.75 oz. lemon juice
- 1 tsp superfine sugar
- 0.5 oz egg white
- Angostura bitters
Whiskey Sour Preparation
- Start off with a chilled glass to contain the classic drink.
- With the help of your shaker, put all ingredients in, add ice, and dry shake vigorously.
- Pour the mixture into your chosen cooled glass and add Angostura bitters for a little punch.
Top with cherry for garnish and enjoy your simple yet elegant classic drink!
Did you know? The first-ever mixture of sugar, water, lime juice, and rum was called "grog" Share this trivia!
Watch it Here!
We have featured 5 Must-Try Whiskey Sour variations, each making the original recipe more exciting and compatible with your palette. Here three of the best Whiskey Sour recipe variations you can try and enjoy for yourself.
- Blackberry Whiskey Sour - Give your whiskey sour wholesome fruity flavor by adding fresh blackberries!
- Five-spiced Whiskey Sour - Throw in a few dashes of five-spiced powder for an intense flavor!
- Honey Whiskey Sour - If you'd rather have something sweeter, try this!
Know Your Ingredients!
The refreshing zesty zing of lemon on a good old sweet whiskey, accompanied by a couple of friends and laughter, what can go wrong? Prepare Angostura bitters, bourbon, lemon juice, and sugar, plus egg whites for more kick. This easy recipe can give you ideas on how you can create your own take on the classic whiskey sour mix drink.
- Fresh Lemon - This can give the drink a good vibe, that's why we recommend it fresh, but using concentrated juice is fine as well since they are made for our convenience, just like this.
- Sugar - You're on the sweet side? Add sugar for your delight, the refined and granulated kind can be used for this.
- Whiskey - A tasty whiskey of your choice will surely enhance the flavor of this cocktail!
- Angostura bitters - Something to balance it off that will bring the flavors together.
- Egg whites - For extra kick. It's optional, but the drink can be more interesting with a little something.
- Cherry - Everybody loves a cherry or two on top, make it your choice!
Jigger - Used to make sure everything is measured properly.
Shaker tin- Shake it all well with this cocktail shaker, durable and stainless, easy to use, and easy to clean.
Cocktail Skewer - Holds garnishes in the right place.
The first appearance of Whiskey Sour was in 1862, in Jerry Thomas' "How to Mix Drinks". From three basic ingredients- sweet, sour, and spirit- it evolved into a lot of forms, becoming known for its simplicity and serene taste.
The Rise in Fame
The Perfect Pair
This savory and delicious food can be paired with a good glass of whiskey sour cocktail: pork ribs, cheese such as Roquefort, brie, and cheddar. It depends on how strong or mild your whiskey is. Tangy or tart fruits like apples and pears, last but not the least, dark chocolate. Yum!
See What Others Think
View this post on Instagram
- S U M M E R S O U R 1½ oz High Proof Bourbon 1 oz Lillet Blanc ¾ oz Orange Curaçao ¾ oz Fresh Lemon Juice ½ oz Simple Syrup 2 Dashes Lemon Bitters 1 Dash Absinthe Add all ingredients to a shaking tin and then add ice. Shake well and strain over ice into a double rocks glass. Garnish with a sprig of mint. - Minor additions and adjustments on the classics is where it’s at. This one was amazing ✨ . . . #SummerSour #WhiskeySour #SideCar #Riff #Whiskey #Summer #Absinthe #Lemon #Mint #ClearIce
The New York Sour with a PA twist. We’re using Dad’s Hat Pennsylvania Rye Whiskey and topping it off with a cabernet sauvignon. Beautiful to look at, delectable to sip! For the recipe, visit https://t.co/FEBrXg2uXi. @DadsHatRye #NewYorksour #whiskeysour #whiskey pic.twitter.com/kIo3hHQ5Kx— FineWine&GoodSpirits (@PAWineSpirits) January 26, 2020
More About Whiskey Sour
- Irish peach sour - A summer vibe version of whiskey sour.
- Tamarind cocktail - Variations of tamarind drinks mixed with different spirits.
- Cherry sour - A very cherry version of the whiskey sour!
- Bourbon sour - A whiskey version mixed with lime and syrup.
- Rum sour- It all started on a shell!
- Scotch sour - Sour and strong won't make a drink go wrong!
- Amaretto sour - Bitter sweet drink with a nutty flavor cocktail.
- Cranberry sour - A time to be thankful with cranberry sour drink.
- Pomegranate sour - A drink with a superb taste and fllavor.
- Aquafaba cocktails - An egg less cocktail made not just for vegans.
- Apricot sour - Sweet and tart flavors of apricot combined with citrusy lemon and a kick of whiskey.
Kahlua sour - For all the coffee and cocktail lovers!
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post.
Updated: September 27, 2019.