Negroni Cocktail Recipe: 100 Years of Cocktail PerfectionApril 05, 2018
Celebrating a hundred years of brilliant taste this summer is the bitter yet absolutely refreshing blend of beautiful red-orange tint. It’s the Italian cocktail masterpiece: Negroni! This summer drink has been on the top 2 spot in the World’s Best Cocktails list for several years, right next to Old Fashioned . It is recommended to be consumed before dinner , but it is truly pleasant at any time of the day.
With its simple mixture of Campari, gin and sweet vermouth, you can make this classic drink at home.
- 1-1/2 oz gin
- 3/4 oz Campari
- 3/4 oz Sweet vermouth
- Orange twist or peelorange twist
- Large ice cube
- Build in large mixing glass.
- Add ice cubes.
- Stir with mixing spoon
- Strain over large ice cube
- Garnish with orange peel
Watch it here!
Recipe VariationsWith the high demand for Negroni, mixologists everywhere experimented on and improvised the recipe for the better.
- Mescal Negroni - A popular version of Negroni that uses Mescal instead of gin.
- White Negroni - A lighter take on the classic originally made with French ingredients.
- St. Germain Negroni - This recipe makes use of the elderflower liqueur, St. Germain.
Know Your Ingredients!Build your own glass with three easy components!
- Gin - An alcoholic drink created from the distillation of mixed spirits and juniper berries.
- Campari - An apéritif that is produced in Italy.
- Sweet vermouth - Aromatized wine that adds sweetness in cocktails.
Bar AccessoriesHave these utensils handy if you're planning to have a sip of Negroni.
- Mixing glass - The right type of glassware to use when mixing cocktail ingredients.
- Bar spoon - Spoons of long length perfect for stirring drinks.
- Old Fashioned glass - A clear and elegant glass that is also called as the rocks glass.
The HistoryNegroni was named after its first patron, Count Camillo Negroni . He requested the Italian bartender Fosco Scarselli to make his favorite Americano cocktail taste a lot stronger back in 1919 at a bar in Florence, Italy. Scarselli then took the Americano recipe, replaced club soda/soda water with gin, and created the delightful cocktail that we all know today.
The Rise in FameNegroni has been in the top two of the best cocktails list for years now, and it doesn't seem like it'll step down any time soon. The cocktail's fame has been greatly increasing through the years and those from New York, Vermont, District of Columbia, Washington and Massachusetts specifically have their eyes on it. Enthusiasts from Uruguay, Italy, Malta, Paraguay and Argentina have exerted remarkable efforts in keeping the drink at the top.
The Perfect PairStrongly-flavored foods are the best choice in selecting meals to eat while having Negroni. Grilled steak or bacon dishes , as well as plates of cheesy food are highly recommended.
See What Others Think
Negroni time. pic.twitter.com/o04Li6gImo— Jeffrey Lewis (@ArmsControlWonk) October 13, 2019
We get commissions for purchases made through links in this post. Updated: October 24, 2019.
Past 18:00 here and I’ve just made the perfect negroni cocktail! #LifeGoals— kim (@Erwhatdidyousay) October 17, 2019